Search for research themes
Members of ISLE can choose to create a brief profile of their current research activities for publication on our website. Each profile may contain up to 5 'themes', and each theme may include any number of keywords.
We aim for this page to be a showcase of research in English Linguistics. It will enable members to get in touch with others working on related research topics.
(Socio)Linguistic Effects across Political Borders
Long neglected as "unimportant" variation, political borders that cut across older dialect zones reveal interesting linguistic and sociolinguistic features that are very "real" for speakers
- Website: https://ubc.academia.edu/StefanDollinger/Border-Studies
- Expires after: 01-01-2555
- Keywords: Dialectology,Historical Linguistics,Language Change,World Englishes,Variationist Linguistics
Variation in English World-Wide
Corpus-based studies on morphosyntactic variation in Englishes
- Website: http://view0.webs.uvigo.es/
- Expires after: 01-01-2525
- Keywords: World Englishes,Variationist Linguistics,Sociolinguistics,Registers,Corpus Linguistics
Variation and Change in English
Grammatical and phonological variation in past and present varieties of English; functional conditioning; based on linguistic corpora and text databases; with a focus on quantitative methodologies.
- Expires after: 31-12-2030
- Keywords: Alternations,Constraints On Variation,Corpus Linguistics,Diachronic Variation,Historical Linguistics,Language Change,Phonology,Quantitative Methods,Variationist Linguistics,World Englishes,Grammar
I am interested in the interface between variation studies (synchronic and diabronic) and typology, geolinguistics, and psycholinguistics
- Expires after: 01-01-2030
- Keywords: Synchronic Linguistics,Diachronic Linguistics,Variationist Linguistics
Phonological acquisition of variable input: bilingual children in multi-dialectal environments
My PhD project looks at variation in child-directed speech and its impact on phonological acquisition in bilingual children.
- Expires after: 01-10-2021
- Keywords: Phonetics,Language Acquisition,Sociolinguistics,World Englishes,Bilingualism,Variationist Linguistics
Patterns of conversational interaction in varieties of English
The project investigates whether Caribbean and Southeast Asian varieties of English exhibit conversational patterns and to which extent these structures can be regarded as culturally sensitive.
- Website: www.uni-regensburg.de/language-literature-culture/english-linguistics/world-englishes/current-projects/neumaier-patterns-of-conversational-interaction/index.html
- Expires after: 03-07-2021
- Keywords: Conversation Analysis,World Englishes,Discourse-pragmatic,Language And Culture,Variationist Linguistics