Search for research themes
Members of ISLE can choose to create a brief profile of their current research activities for publication on our website. Each profile may contain up to 5 'themes', and each theme may include any number of keywords.
We aim for this page to be a showcase of research in English Linguistics. It will enable members to get in touch with others working on related research topics.
(Socio)Linguistic Effects across Political Borders
Long neglected as "unimportant" variation, political borders that cut across older dialect zones reveal interesting linguistic and sociolinguistic features that are very "real" for speakers
- Website: https://ubc.academia.edu/StefanDollinger/Border-Studies
- Expires after: 01-01-2555
- Keywords: Dialectology,Historical Linguistics,Language Change,World Englishes,Variationist Linguistics
Variation in English World-Wide
Corpus-based studies on morphosyntactic variation in Englishes
- Website: http://view0.webs.uvigo.es/
- Expires after: 01-01-2525
- Keywords: World Englishes,Variationist Linguistics,Sociolinguistics,Registers,Corpus Linguistics
Variation and Change in English
Grammatical and phonological variation in past and present varieties of English; functional conditioning; based on linguistic corpora and text databases; with a focus on quantitative methodologies.
- Expires after: 31-12-2030
- Keywords: Alternations,Constraints On Variation,Corpus Linguistics,Diachronic Variation,Historical Linguistics,Language Change,Phonology,Quantitative Methods,Variationist Linguistics,World Englishes,Grammar
I am interested in the interface between variation studies (synchronic and diabronic) and typology, geolinguistics, and psycholinguistics
- Expires after: 01-01-2030
- Keywords: Synchronic Linguistics,Diachronic Linguistics,Variationist Linguistics
Attitudes of Nigerian Students towards Accents of English
The aim of this research is to investigate which variety of English is most likely to act as a marker of linguistic identity in Nigeria.
- Expires after: 30-09-2020
- Keywords: Comparative Sociolinguistics,Sociolinguistics,Nigerian English,Variationist Linguistics,World Englishes,West African Englishes
Syntactic Variation in Cape Flats English
A sociolinguistic approach towards (morpho-)syntactic variation in CFE.
- Expires after: 01-04-2020
- Keywords: Comparative Sociolinguistics,Sociolinguistics,Statistical Methods Of Syntactic Analysis,World Englishes,Variationist Linguistics,Syntax,Cape Flats English,South African English
Patterns of conversational interaction in varieties of English
The project investigates whether Caribbean and Southeast Asian varieties of English exhibit conversational patterns and to which extent these structures can be regarded as culturally sensitive.
- Website: www.uni-regensburg.de/language-literature-culture/english-linguistics/world-englishes/current-projects/neumaier-patterns-of-conversational-interaction/index.html
- Expires after: 01-01-2020
- Keywords: Conversation Analysis,World Englishes,Discourse-pragmatic,Language And Culture,Variationist Linguistics
A Corpus based Comparison of Variation in Online Registers of Pakistani English
A PhD study on online and off-line registers of Pakistani English.
- Website: https://www.uni-muenster.de/Promotionskolleg-Sprachwissenschaft/Personen/Promovierende/Aziz.html
- Expires after: 31-03-2019
- Keywords: Corpus Linguistics,Registers,Quantitative Methods,World Englishes,Variation,Sociolinguistics,Textual Variation,Variationist Linguistics,Pakistani English,Multidimensional Analysis
Nigerian Newscasters’ English as a Model of Standard Nigerian English
This work aims to investigate whether the variety of English used by Nigerian newscasters is stable and systematic enough to justify its acceptance as a model of Standard Nigerian English
- Expires after: 14-01-2019
- Keywords: First And Second Language Acquisition,Language Attitudes,Phonetics And Phonology,Sociolinguistics,Variationist Linguistics,West African Englishes,World Englishes,Nigerian English
Attitudes of Nigerian Students towards BBC Pidgin English
The research aims to investigate the attitudes of Nigerians, specifically Nigerian students towards the BBC Pidgin English variety.
- Expires after: 21-12-2018
- Keywords: Sociolinguistics,Variationist Linguistics,West African Englishes,Pidgins And Creoles,Nigerian Pidgin English,West African Pidgin English,BBC Pidgin,Language Attitudes