Search for research themes
Members of ISLE can choose to create a brief profile of their current research activities for publication on our website. Each profile may contain up to 5 'themes', and each theme may include any number of keywords.
We aim for this page to be a showcase of research in English Linguistics. It will enable members to get in touch with others working on related research topics.
Standardization of the English language
The topic of my research is the history of normative English grammar, particularly its contacts with contemporary philosophy of language, rhetoric and poetics.
- Expires after: 01-01-2525
- Keywords: Standardization,Historical Linguistics,Historical Sociolinguistics,Language And Culture,Prescriptivism,Grammar Writing
Variation in English World-Wide
Corpus-based studies on morphosyntactic variation in Englishes
- Website: http://view0.webs.uvigo.es/
- Expires after: 01-01-2525
- Keywords: World Englishes,Variationist Linguistics,Sociolinguistics,Registers,Corpus Linguistics
Comparative analysis across multiple regional dialects of English
- Expires after: 01-01-2200
- Keywords: Regional Dialects,Comparative Sociolinguistics
Mary Hamilton Papers
Collaborative research project on a (mainly) 18C archive, involving network relations, verbal syntax, and other literary and linguistic strands.
- Website: www.projects.alc.manchester.ac.uk/image-to-text/
- Expires after: 01-01-2022
- Keywords: Diachronic Linguistics,Historical Sociolinguistics,Editing
Exploring probabilistic grammar(s) in varieties of English around the world
The objective of the project is to understand the lectal plasticity of probabilistic knowledge of English grammar, on the part of language users with diverse regional and cultural backgrounds.
- Website: http://wwwling.arts.kuleuven.be/qlvl/ProbGrammarEnglish.html
- Expires after: 31-12-2021
- Keywords: Variation,Grammar,Syntax,Alternations,Sociolinguistics,Probabilistic Linguistics
Attitudes of Nigerian Students towards Accents of English
The aim of this research is to investigate which variety of English is most likely to act as a marker of linguistic identity in Nigeria.
- Expires after: 30-09-2020
- Keywords: Comparative Sociolinguistics,Sociolinguistics,Nigerian English,Variationist Linguistics,World Englishes,West African Englishes
Social embedding of neologisms in the history of English
Tracking new words using historical corpora, OED & HT: who used neologisms, how they spread, what kinds of semantic fields and social meanings they were associated with and how this changed over time.
- Website: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/researchgroups/varieng/tanja-saily
- Expires after: 25-07-2020
- Keywords: Historical Sociolinguistics,Corpus Linguistics,Lexicology,Historical Linguistics,Sociolinguistics,Semantics
Syntactic Variation in Cape Flats English
A sociolinguistic approach towards (morpho-)syntactic variation in CFE.
- Expires after: 01-04-2020
- Keywords: Comparative Sociolinguistics,Sociolinguistics,Statistical Methods Of Syntactic Analysis,World Englishes,Variationist Linguistics,Syntax,Cape Flats English,South African English
Usage-based approach to constructional variation across lects and registers
- Expires after: 01-01-2020
- Keywords: Construction Grammar,Corpus Linguistics,Cognitive Sociolinguistics
Nigerian English, Nigerian Pidgin and World Englishes
I am interested in English grammar, pidgin and creole studies, World Englishes and sociolinguistics. I am willing to learn and develop professionally.
- Expires after: 31-12-2019
- Keywords: Grammar,Dialectology,Language Contact,Grammaticalisation,Lexical Variation,Multilingualism,Syntax,World Englishes,Sociolinguistics
English in Late Modern times
The aim is to take into consideration LModE usage in a range of previously unedited texts, especially as far as popular culture is concerned.
- Expires after: 31-12-2019
- Keywords: Historical Pragmatics,Historical Sociolinguistics,Geographical Variation,Early Business Discourse,Early Multimodality,Popular Culture,Entertainment
Meowlogisms in Online Communitites
Cat inspired neologisms on Instagram, twitter, facebook, and in blogs
- Website: meowfactor.wordpress.com
- Expires after: 30-09-2019
- Keywords: Dialectology,Sociolinguistics,Mass Media,Internet
A Corpus based Comparison of Variation in Online Registers of Pakistani English
A PhD study on online and off-line registers of Pakistani English.
- Website: https://www.uni-muenster.de/Promotionskolleg-Sprachwissenschaft/Personen/Promovierende/Aziz.html
- Expires after: 31-03-2019
- Keywords: Corpus Linguistics,Registers,Quantitative Methods,World Englishes,Variation,Sociolinguistics,Textual Variation,Variationist Linguistics,Pakistani English,Multidimensional Analysis
Nigerian Newscasters’ English as a Model of Standard Nigerian English
This work aims to investigate whether the variety of English used by Nigerian newscasters is stable and systematic enough to justify its acceptance as a model of Standard Nigerian English
- Expires after: 14-01-2019
- Keywords: First And Second Language Acquisition,Language Attitudes,Phonetics And Phonology,Sociolinguistics,Variationist Linguistics,West African Englishes,World Englishes,Nigerian English
Attitudes of Nigerian Students towards BBC Pidgin English
The research aims to investigate the attitudes of Nigerians, specifically Nigerian students towards the BBC Pidgin English variety.
- Expires after: 21-12-2018
- Keywords: Sociolinguistics,Variationist Linguistics,West African Englishes,Pidgins And Creoles,Nigerian Pidgin English,West African Pidgin English,BBC Pidgin,Language Attitudes