Search for research themes
Members of ISLE can choose to create a brief profile of their current research activities for publication on our website. Each profile may contain up to 5 'themes', and each theme may include any number of keywords.
We aim for this page to be a showcase of research in English Linguistics. It will enable members to get in touch with others working on related research topics.
Standardization of the English language
The topic of my research is the history of normative English grammar, particularly its contacts with contemporary philosophy of language, rhetoric and poetics.
- Expires after: 01-01-2525
- Keywords: Standardization,Historical Linguistics,Historical Sociolinguistics,Language And Culture,Prescriptivism,Grammar Writing
Variation in English World-Wide
Corpus-based studies on morphosyntactic variation in Englishes
- Website: http://view0.webs.uvigo.es/
- Expires after: 01-01-2525
- Keywords: World Englishes,Variationist Linguistics,Sociolinguistics,Registers,Corpus Linguistics
Comparative analysis across multiple regional dialects of English
- Expires after: 01-01-2200
- Keywords: Regional Dialects,Comparative Sociolinguistics
Historical Sociolinguistics Meets Construction Grammar: The Case of Productivity in English
Aims: (1) increase the explanatory power of CxG by drawing on historical sociolinguistics; (2) learn more about linguistic phenomena in the field of productivity in the history of English.
- Website: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/researchgroups/varieng/tanja-saily
- Expires after: 28-02-2023
- Keywords: Construction Grammar,Historical Sociolinguistics,Productivity,Corpus Linguistics
For my MA dissertation, I carried out a study of Scots online. This addressed ambiguity surrounding the definition of Scots, and which orthographic variants are 'good' or 'bad'.
- Expires after: 05-12-2022
- Keywords: Bilingualism,Language Change,Language Contact,Sociolinguistics
Mary Hamilton Papers
Collaborative research project on a (mainly) 18C archive, involving network relations, verbal syntax, and other literary and linguistic strands.
- Website: www.projects.alc.manchester.ac.uk/image-to-text/
- Expires after: 01-01-2022
- Keywords: Diachronic Linguistics,Historical Sociolinguistics,Editing
Exploring probabilistic grammar(s) in varieties of English around the world
The objective of the project is to understand the lectal plasticity of probabilistic knowledge of English grammar, on the part of language users with diverse regional and cultural backgrounds.
- Website: http://wwwling.arts.kuleuven.be/qlvl/ProbGrammarEnglish.html
- Expires after: 31-12-2021
- Keywords: Variation,Grammar,Syntax,Alternations,Sociolinguistics,Probabilistic Linguistics
Phonological acquisition of variable input: bilingual children in multi-dialectal environments
My PhD project looks at variation in child-directed speech and its impact on phonological acquisition in bilingual children.
- Expires after: 01-10-2021
- Keywords: Phonetics,Language Acquisition,Sociolinguistics,World Englishes,Bilingualism,Variationist Linguistics
Exploring Polish EFL learners' accent preferences
The aim of this project is to investigate which accents of English language are preferred among the Polish learners of English as a foreign language.
- Expires after: 31-12-2020
- Keywords: Dialectometry,Dialectology,Dialect Typology,Diachronic World Englishes,Language Attitudes,Mixed Methods,Phonetics,Phonetics And Phonology,Phonology,Regional Dialects,Sociolinguistics
Nigerian English, Nigerian Pidgin and World Englishes
I am interested in English grammar, pidgin and creole studies, World Englishes and sociolinguistics. I am willing to learn and develop professionally.
- Expires after: 31-12-2019
- Keywords: Grammar,Dialectology,Language Contact,Grammaticalisation,Lexical Variation,Multilingualism,Syntax,World Englishes,Sociolinguistics