Search for research themes
Members of ISLE can choose to create a brief profile of their current research activities for publication on our website. Each profile may contain up to 5 'themes', and each theme may include any number of keywords.
We aim for this page to be a showcase of research in English Linguistics. It will enable members to get in touch with others working on related research topics.
Morpho-syntactic variation and change
Integrating syntactic theory into variationist analysis of morpho-syntactic phenomena to understand the underlying structure of variation and the processes of change
- Expires after: 01-01-2200
- Keywords: Syntax,Variation,Language Change
Analysis of syntactic /grammatical complexity measures in academic and non-academic discourse
My current research is about the analysis of syntactic/ grammatical complexity measures in academic and non-academic discourses using corpus linguistics methodologies and techniques.
- Website: www.researchgate.net/profile/Maryam_Nasseri
- Expires after: 01-01-2080
- Keywords: Syntactic Complexity,Syntactic Complexity Measures,Academic Writing,First And Second Language Acquisition,Complexity,Corpus Linguistics,Grammar Writing,Syntax,Statistical Methods Of Syntactic Analysis
Exploring probabilistic grammar(s) in varieties of English around the world
The objective of the project is to understand the lectal plasticity of probabilistic knowledge of English grammar, on the part of language users with diverse regional and cultural backgrounds.
- Website: http://wwwling.arts.kuleuven.be/qlvl/ProbGrammarEnglish.html
- Expires after: 31-12-2021
- Keywords: Variation,Grammar,Syntax,Alternations,Sociolinguistics,Probabilistic Linguistics
Information structure and word order change in Germanic and Romance languages
Completed project (2010-2014), which dealt with information structure in Old English, Old Norse, Old High German, Old French, Old Spanish, Classical Portuguese. It is a topic I am still interested in.
- Website: http://www.hf.uio.no/ilos/english/research/projects/iswoc/
- Expires after: 31-12-2020
- Keywords: Historical Linguistics,Language Change,Information Structure,Syntax,Corpus Linguistics
Language Mixing in Medieval England
The project investigates language mixing in historical documents from medieval England. Its results contribute mainly to syntaxctic theory, comparative hsitorical linguistics and digital humanities
- Website: http://mk-linguistics.com/Project/index-1915.html
- Expires after: 10-09-2020
- Keywords: Diachronic Linguistics,Diachronic Variation,Historical Linguistics,Language Contact,Multilingualism,Morphology,Syntax
Syntactic Variation in Cape Flats English
A sociolinguistic approach towards (morpho-)syntactic variation in CFE.
- Expires after: 01-04-2020
- Keywords: Comparative Sociolinguistics,Sociolinguistics,Statistical Methods Of Syntactic Analysis,World Englishes,Variationist Linguistics,Syntax,Cape Flats English,South African English
Nigerian English, Nigerian Pidgin and World Englishes
I am interested in English grammar, pidgin and creole studies, World Englishes and sociolinguistics. I am willing to learn and develop professionally.
- Expires after: 31-12-2019
- Keywords: Grammar,Dialectology,Language Contact,Grammaticalisation,Lexical Variation,Multilingualism,Syntax,World Englishes,Sociolinguistics
Insubordination in the history of English
- Expires after: 31-12-2018
- Keywords: Insubordination,Diachronic Linguistics,Historical Syntax
When the verb does and doesn't come second.
- Website: walkden.space/research.html
- Expires after: 01-07-2018
- Keywords: Syntax,Historical Linguistics,Corpus Linguistics