Search for research themes
Members of ISLE can choose to create a brief profile of their current research activities for publication on our website. Each profile may contain up to 5 'themes', and each theme may include any number of keywords.
We aim for this page to be a showcase of research in English Linguistics. It will enable members to get in touch with others working on related research topics.
(Socio)Linguistic Effects across Political Borders
Long neglected as "unimportant" variation, political borders that cut across older dialect zones reveal interesting linguistic and sociolinguistic features that are very "real" for speakers
- Website: https://ubc.academia.edu/StefanDollinger/Border-Studies
- Expires after: 01-01-2555
- Keywords: Dialectology,Historical Linguistics,Language Change,World Englishes,Variationist Linguistics
Variation in English World-Wide
Corpus-based studies on morphosyntactic variation in Englishes
- Website: http://view0.webs.uvigo.es/
- Expires after: 01-01-2525
- Keywords: World Englishes,Variationist Linguistics,Sociolinguistics,Registers,Corpus Linguistics
Morpho-syntactic variation and change
Integrating syntactic theory into variationist analysis of morpho-syntactic phenomena to understand the underlying structure of variation and the processes of change
- Expires after: 01-01-2200
- Keywords: Syntax,Variation,Language Change
Discourse-pragmatic variation and change
Variation and change in the use of discourse-pragmatic features such as question tags; discourse pragmatic effects in relation to syntactic phenomena
- Expires after: 01-01-2200
- Keywords: Discourse-pragmatic,Variation,Language Change
Quantitative variationist analysis
Quantitative analysis including mixed-effects modelling in R
- Expires after: 01-01-2200
- Keywords: Quantitative Methods,Mixed-Effects Modelling
Analysis of lexical complexity measures in academic and non-academic discourses
Analysis of different sets of lexical complexity measures including lexical density, lexical diversity/variation, lexical sophistication and lexical richness measures, methods of analysis, statistics
- Website: www.researchgate.net/profile/Maryam_Nasseri
- Expires after: 01-01-2080
- Keywords: Lexical Complexity,Lexical Complexity Measures,Complexity,Lexical Density,Lexical Diversity,Lexical Variation,Lexical Sophistication,Lexical Richness,Linguistic Complexity,Corpus Linguistics,Academic Writing,First And Second Language Acquisition,Lexicology,Statistical Methods Of Lexical Analysis
Variation and Change in English
Grammatical and phonological variation in past and present varieties of English; functional conditioning; based on linguistic corpora and text databases; with a focus on quantitative methodologies.
- Expires after: 31-12-2030
- Keywords: Alternations,Constraints On Variation,Corpus Linguistics,Diachronic Variation,Historical Linguistics,Language Change,Phonology,Quantitative Methods,Variationist Linguistics,World Englishes,Grammar
I am interested in the interface between variation studies (synchronic and diabronic) and typology, geolinguistics, and psycholinguistics
- Expires after: 01-01-2030
- Keywords: Synchronic Linguistics,Diachronic Linguistics,Variationist Linguistics
How can we describe language variation as a function of geographic space?
- Expires after: 01-01-2030
- Keywords: Dialectology,Dialectometry,Typology,Dialect Typology
Exploring probabilistic grammar(s) in varieties of English around the world
The objective of the project is to understand the lectal plasticity of probabilistic knowledge of English grammar, on the part of language users with diverse regional and cultural backgrounds.
- Website: http://wwwling.arts.kuleuven.be/qlvl/ProbGrammarEnglish.html
- Expires after: 31-12-2021
- Keywords: Variation,Grammar,Syntax,Alternations,Sociolinguistics,Probabilistic Linguistics
Acquisition, Variation, and Diachronic Change in and across English Amplifiier Systems
This research project focuses on the amplification of adjectives in English (e.g. very good, really nice) using a corpus-based quantitative approach.
- Expires after: 30-09-2021
- Keywords: Variation,Corpus Linguistics,Language Change,Quantitative Methods
Patterns of conversational interaction in varieties of English
The project investigates whether Caribbean and Southeast Asian varieties of English exhibit conversational patterns and to which extent these structures can be regarded as culturally sensitive.
- Website: www.uni-regensburg.de/language-literature-culture/english-linguistics/world-englishes/current-projects/neumaier-patterns-of-conversational-interaction/index.html
- Expires after: 03-07-2021
- Keywords: Conversation Analysis,World Englishes,Discourse-pragmatic,Language And Culture,Variationist Linguistics
Constraints on syntactic variation: noun phrases in early Germanic languages
The project (2017-2020) focuses on noun phrase word order in Old English, Old Norse (Old Icelandic and Old Norwegian), Old Swedish, Old High German, Old Saxon, and Gothic.
- Website: http://www.hf.uio.no/ilos/english/research/projects/noun-phrases-in-early-germanic/index.html
- Expires after: 31-12-2020
- Keywords: Historical Linguistics,Corpus Linguistics,Language Change
Attitudes of Nigerian Students towards Accents of English
The aim of this research is to investigate which variety of English is most likely to act as a marker of linguistic identity in Nigeria.
- Expires after: 30-09-2020
- Keywords: Comparative Sociolinguistics,Sociolinguistics,Nigerian English,Variationist Linguistics,World Englishes,West African Englishes
Language Mixing in Medieval England
The project investigates language mixing in historical documents from medieval England. Its results contribute mainly to syntaxctic theory, comparative hsitorical linguistics and digital humanities
- Website: http://mk-linguistics.com/Project/index-1915.html
- Expires after: 10-09-2020
- Keywords: Diachronic Linguistics,Diachronic Variation,Historical Linguistics,Language Contact,Multilingualism,Morphology,Syntax
Syntactic Variation in Cape Flats English
A sociolinguistic approach towards (morpho-)syntactic variation in CFE.
- Expires after: 01-04-2020
- Keywords: Comparative Sociolinguistics,Sociolinguistics,Statistical Methods Of Syntactic Analysis,World Englishes,Variationist Linguistics,Syntax,Cape Flats English,South African English
Usage-based approach to constructional variation across lects and registers
- Expires after: 01-01-2020
- Keywords: Construction Grammar,Corpus Linguistics,Cognitive Sociolinguistics
Abusive Language Online and Trolling
An examination of the stylistic variation in abusive language online and internet trolling using a novel form of multi-dimensional analysis for short texts.
- Expires after: 30-09-2019
- Keywords: Corpus Linguistics,Variation,Multidimensional Analysis
A Corpus based Comparison of Variation in Online Registers of Pakistani English
A PhD study on online and off-line registers of Pakistani English.
- Website: https://www.uni-muenster.de/Promotionskolleg-Sprachwissenschaft/Personen/Promovierende/Aziz.html
- Expires after: 31-03-2019
- Keywords: Corpus Linguistics,Registers,Quantitative Methods,World Englishes,Variation,Sociolinguistics,Textual Variation,Variationist Linguistics,Pakistani English,Multidimensional Analysis
Variation and change in derivational vs. inflectional productivity
Similar variation and change occur in both derivational and inflectional productivity, supporting the hypothesis of a cline between D & I; hence measures of syntheticity should include derivation.
- Website: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/researchgroups/varieng/tanja-saily
- Expires after: 31-08-2018
- Keywords: Historical Sociolinguistics,Corpus Linguistics,Morphology,Syntheticity,Historical Linguistics,Sociolinguistics
The English dative alternation
My research focuses on regional variation in the probabilistic constraints that shape variation between the ditransitive and the prepositional dative across nine national varieties of English.
- Expires after: 02-06-2018
- Keywords: Constraints On Variation,Synchronic Linguistics,Variation,Dialectology
Genitive Alternation Across Varieties of English
This study explores the underlying constraints that shape syntactic variation in new varieties of English.
- Website: wwwling.arts.kuleuven.be/qlvl/ProbGrammarEnglish.html
- Expires after: 28-02-2018
- Keywords: Variationist Linguistics,Constraints On Variation,Diachronic Linguistics,World Englishes