Search for research themes
Members of ISLE can choose to create a brief profile of their current research activities for publication on our website. Each profile may contain up to 5 'themes', and each theme may include any number of keywords.
We aim for this page to be a showcase of research in English Linguistics. It will enable members to get in touch with others working on related research topics.
(Socio)Linguistic Effects across Political Borders
Long neglected as "unimportant" variation, political borders that cut across older dialect zones reveal interesting linguistic and sociolinguistic features that are very "real" for speakers
- Website: https://ubc.academia.edu/StefanDollinger/Border-Studies
- Expires after: 01-01-2555
- Keywords: Dialectology,Historical Linguistics,Language Change,World Englishes,Variationist Linguistics
Variation in English World-Wide
Corpus-based studies on morphosyntactic variation in Englishes
- Website: http://view0.webs.uvigo.es/
- Expires after: 01-01-2525
- Keywords: World Englishes,Variationist Linguistics,Sociolinguistics,Registers,Corpus Linguistics
Variation and Change in English
Grammatical and phonological variation in past and present varieties of English; functional conditioning; based on linguistic corpora and text databases; with a focus on quantitative methodologies.
- Expires after: 31-12-2030
- Keywords: Alternations,Constraints On Variation,Corpus Linguistics,Diachronic Variation,Historical Linguistics,Language Change,Phonology,Quantitative Methods,Variationist Linguistics,World Englishes,Grammar
Teacher Development Programmes of English Language Teachers at the Secondary Level In Kashmir
I am working on the professional development trainings given to the English Language Teachers in Kashmir Valley by different training institutes of the valley - their curriculum, methods of teaching.
- Expires after: 21-07-2026
- Keywords: ELT,Language Acquisition,Language Pedagogy,TEFL,World Englishes,Professional Development,English,Teachers,Needs Analysis
Communication Strategies and Language Attitudes of West African Users of English as Lingua Franca in France and Germany: Case Studies from the Medical Field
This PhD project investigates attitudes-strategies of Anglophone West African professionals in English interactions in France and Germany, providing insights on cross-cultural healthcare communication
- Expires after: 31-12-2025
- Keywords: English As A Lingua Franca,Comparative Sociolinguistics,Discourse Analysis,West African Englishes,World Englishes,Language Attitudes,Language Identity,Multilingualism,Nigerian English
Creole and English in a British Overseas Territory Language Variations and Language Attitudes in 21st Century Anguilla
One’s aim is to perform an in-depth sociolinguistic analysis of Anguillians' use of and attitudes towards their native language as well as their outlook on other varieties of English.
- Website: www.hpsl-linguistics.org/user/784/
- Expires after: 30-04-2025
- Keywords: Caribbean Englishes,Corpus Linguistics,Sociolinguistics,Dialectology,World Englishes,Dialect Typology
Variation in English on the internet and its implications: an empirical study of web registers in South Asian countries
Study of language variation in South Asian online Englishes
- Expires after: 28-02-2025
- Keywords: Corpus Linguistics,Registers,Quantitative Methods,World Englishes,Variation,Sociolinguistics,Textual Variation,Variationist Linguistics,Multidimensional Analysis,Computer-mediate Communication,South Asian Englishes,Pakistani English,Indian English,Sri Lankan English,Bangladeshi English,R,Python
Historical sociolinguistic analysis of Australian English
With a particular focus on the small isolated settler population of 19th-century Western Australia, I am looking at evidence of early Australian English dialect formation in texts 'from below'
- Expires after: 31-01-2024
- Keywords: Historical Sociolinguistics,Historical Linguistics,Historical Pragmatics,History Of English,Diachronic World Englishes,Written Language
Nigerian English, Nigerian Pidgin and World Englishes
I am interested in English grammar, pidgin and creole studies, World Englishes and sociolinguistics. I am willing to learn and develop professionally.
- Expires after: 31-12-2019
- Keywords: Grammar,Dialectology,Language Contact,Grammaticalisation,Lexical Variation,Multilingualism,Syntax,World Englishes,Sociolinguistics