Search for research themes
Members of ISLE can choose to create a brief profile of their current research activities for publication on our website. Each profile may contain up to 5 'themes', and each theme may include any number of keywords.
We aim for this page to be a showcase of research in English Linguistics. It will enable members to get in touch with others working on related research topics.
Standardization of the English language
The topic of my research is the history of normative English grammar, particularly its contacts with contemporary philosophy of language, rhetoric and poetics.
- Expires after: 01-01-2525
- Keywords: Standardization,Historical Linguistics,Historical Sociolinguistics,Language And Culture,Prescriptivism,Grammar Writing
Mary Hamilton Papers
Collaborative research project on a (mainly) 18C archive, involving network relations, verbal syntax, and other literary and linguistic strands.
- Website: www.projects.alc.manchester.ac.uk/image-to-text/
- Expires after: 01-01-2022
- Keywords: Diachronic Linguistics,Historical Sociolinguistics,Editing
Social embedding of neologisms in the history of English
Tracking new words using historical corpora, OED & HT: who used neologisms, how they spread, what kinds of semantic fields and social meanings they were associated with and how this changed over time.
- Website: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/researchgroups/varieng/tanja-saily
- Expires after: 25-07-2020
- Keywords: Historical Sociolinguistics,Corpus Linguistics,Lexicology,Historical Linguistics,Sociolinguistics,Semantics
English in Late Modern times
The aim is to take into consideration LModE usage in a range of previously unedited texts, especially as far as popular culture is concerned.
- Expires after: 31-12-2019
- Keywords: Historical Pragmatics,Historical Sociolinguistics,Geographical Variation,Early Business Discourse,Early Multimodality,Popular Culture,Entertainment