Search for research themes
Members of ISLE can choose to create a brief profile of their current research activities for publication on our website. Each profile may contain up to 5 'themes', and each theme may include any number of keywords.
We aim for this page to be a showcase of research in English Linguistics. It will enable members to get in touch with others working on related research topics.
Variation and Change in English
Grammatical and phonological variation in past and present varieties of English; functional conditioning; based on linguistic corpora and text databases; with a focus on quantitative methodologies.
- Expires after: 31-12-2030
- Keywords: Alternations,Constraints On Variation,Corpus Linguistics,Diachronic Variation,Historical Linguistics,Language Change,Phonology,Quantitative Methods,Variationist Linguistics,World Englishes,Grammar
Explaining a recent use of so in spoken British English, namely as a discourse marker conveying acceptance of an invitation to take the floor and give an explanation.
- Website: https://www.research.manchester.ac.uk/portal/files/157756869/Explanatory_so_pre_publication_.pdf
- Expires after: 01-01-2023
- Keywords: Discourse-pragmatic,Diachronic Variation,Recent Change,Prescriptivism,Syntax
Letter writing in Late Modern English
Unlocking the Mary Hamilton Papers. A window onto eighteenth-century life, literature and language
- Website: https://www.projects.alc.manchester.ac.uk/maryhamiltonpapers/
- Expires after: 31-12-2022
- Keywords: Grammar Writing,Historical Sociolinguistics,Language Attitudes,Diachronic Variation,Historical Syntax,Prescriptivism,Registers,Sociolinguistics,Standardization,Text Edition,Variationist Linguistics
English historical syntax, in relation to Information Structure and Discourse.
- Website: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ans-Van-Kemenade
- Expires after: 30-04-2022
- Keywords: Information Structure,Discourse-pragmatic,Syntax,Variation,Diachronic Variation,Diachronic Linguistics