Search for research themes
Members of ISLE can choose to create a brief profile of their current research activities for publication on our website. Each profile may contain up to 5 'themes', and each theme may include any number of keywords.
We aim for this page to be a showcase of research in English Linguistics. It will enable members to get in touch with others working on related research topics.
I am interested in the interface between variation studies (synchronic and diabronic) and typology, geolinguistics, and psycholinguistics
- Expires after: 01-01-2030
- Keywords: Synchronic Linguistics,Diachronic Linguistics,Variationist Linguistics
The linguistic profile of I think
Describing synchronic and diachronic structure and use of the comment clause "I think" from phonetics to pragmatics
- Expires after: 20-11-2021
- Keywords: Conversation Analysis,Corpus Linguistics,Data Analysis With R,Diachronic Linguistics,Grammaticalisation,Discourse-pragmatic,Phonetics,Prosody,Synchronic Linguistics
Ælfric’s Old English Admonition to a Spiritual Son: Text and Context
dissertation project: text edition of unique Admonitio text in MS Oxford, Bodleian Library, Hatton 76, 55–67v, s. xi1
- Expires after: 30-09-2020
- Keywords: Diachronic Linguistics,Old English,Text Edition
Language Mixing in Medieval England
The project investigates language mixing in historical documents from medieval England. Its results contribute mainly to syntaxctic theory, comparative hsitorical linguistics and digital humanities
- Website: http://mk-linguistics.com/Project/index-1915.html
- Expires after: 10-09-2020
- Keywords: Diachronic Linguistics,Diachronic Variation,Historical Linguistics,Language Contact,Multilingualism,Morphology,Syntax
Forms of politeness in the history of English
Our knowledge of forms of politeness in the history of English is patchy. This project tries to provide a better overall perspective. What kinds of politeness were prevalent in which period?
- Expires after: 31-12-2018
- Keywords: Discourse-pragmatic,Historical Linguistics,Diachronic Linguistics
Genitive Alternation Across Varieties of English
This study explores the underlying constraints that shape syntactic variation in new varieties of English.
- Website: wwwling.arts.kuleuven.be/qlvl/ProbGrammarEnglish.html
- Expires after: 28-02-2018
- Keywords: Variationist Linguistics,Constraints On Variation,Diachronic Linguistics,World Englishes